Wednesday, March 20, 2013

American Hero

Claire was given an assignment to find an American Hero and 
present him/her at the 5th grade Wax Museum.  
Wonderful Americans like Betsy Ross, Emilia Earhart, 
Abraham Lincoln, Shirley Temple, and so on and so forth.
Claire chose me.
I was so honored.  I really truly was.
It was so cute.
We have been preparing for weeks now talking about who I am, 
where I was born, what I have done.
She compiled it all in a short 1 1/2 minutes speech.
She is preforming it today at school.
Then we began looking for props and things to use to display.
I took her to the "chokie" where I have {proudly and happily} 
packed away all my burn gear.
We took some of the gear out so she could display it at her table.

As I pulled things out, she wanted to try it all on.
  I put everything on her just the way that
Mr. Nielson put everything on me EVERY SINGLE DAY.  
And then I put on her my night time gear, 
that Mr. Nielson put on me EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. 

Then I cried, and then together we cried a little bit.  
Both so glad that chapter is over.
It's done.  I did it- we did it.  
All those contraptions, braces, compression garments, masks, 
and pads which made me sick to look at, also made me so proud.
It made me realize that hard times do come to an end at some point.
Sometimes and especially when we are in the middle of our trials
it seems they will never end.
But they will- eventually.
But it also depends on attitude.  I made sure she understood that.

I know I still have work to do. 
More surgeries and I do experience some pain everyday.  
But no where near the way it was those first years after my accident.
I am so excited to see Claire at school share my journey- 
she is proud of me, I am proud of me and proud of her for enduring
 it right along with me.
{I'll blog more about it tomorrow!}
And then Oliver tried on my Nacho Libre burn mask.
{below}
I laughed uncontrollably for about 15 minutes.  
Straight.
See, the photo is so blurry, I was laughing so hard.
 I couldn't even take the pic!!
Bookmark and Share Add to Technorati Favorites