Friday, August 21, 2009

Critical Condition

(The family Sunday fireside on my accident anniversary last week.)
Today I woke up. That was an accomplishment. 
But folks, that's not all! I woke up at 7:00 so I could 
get my girlie's lunches made, laundry is done, and breakfast started.
Then I also wrote a list of goals to complete.
Organize tools, garage, paint the front door, paint cupboards, 
hang up and frame paintings, weed/lawn. That list was just for Mr. Nielson alone.
Here were my goals: organize cupboards
That looks a little off balance. I can barely do much these days.
Writing lists were just like the old times, and I love that I'm getting excited about accomplishing something. It's been a long time since I've felt that way.
That's been really good therapy for me. 
Oh man, the old times...those were great, and some of it I want to continue, but lots of it I am not looking back. Just looking forward and it feels so good. 
 Thank you all for coming to my Dad's weenie roast. Good times had there!
In the afternoon, Mr. Nielson with me to the burn unit, and to our very wonderful surprise,
 Doctor Peck who was on my life-saving team in AZ was there visiting!!!
 It was such a delightful meeting and I was giddy with joy. 
 Mr. Nielson and I shed tears of gratitude for his handy work in our preservation on this planet. 
I had never officially "met" him since I was in a coma, so it was very special. 
 Tonight I overheard the news on TV at my parents' house, and the anchor was talking 
about a horrible accident in Salt Lake. 
 Then she ended with  "...and now she is in critical condition in the hospital"
followed quickly with ".....Have you heard about Dennis the special monkey who gets carried around on a leash?...bla bla blablaaa bla......" 
 And that was that. 
And I thought, about that poor woman who is in critical condition.
I thought about her "team" of doctors and nurses who are trying to save her life...her LIFE! 
 She has a family who is in critical condition, too!  They are emotionally strained and really heartbroken.  I thought about her husband and children.
Then in almost the same breath, we hear about Dennis the special monkey?!
 It was painful!  when a loved one is slipping away nothing else in the world matters. 
 Nothing. You don't watch TV, listen to music. Movies are too much and even reading is hard. 
I wish I could tell this sweet family in critical condition to hang in there.
They are in for months and months of recovery, hospital visits, desperate prayers, and heartache, 
but to never forget who will always remain in critical condition with them:
 The Savior.
 He will be there until everything is stable and then forever after. 
When the world forgets He will remain.
I am sure Dennis is a really special monkey,
 but sometimes some situations feel too sacred, too emotional,
and even too special to just announce.
Those are my thoughts tonight. 
Here is the special news report on our accident.






Bookmark and Share