Wednesday, January 15, 2014

I LOVE Jörg C. Gerlach

 
Whilst in Arizona, Mr. Nielson and I visited a very sacred place for us- the Arizona Burn Center.
It's always nice to hug the ones who took such good care of us- and such 
good care of our family who visited us day after day in such dark circumstances.
They are making amazing progress in the world of Burn care.
Have you heard of the Spray-on Skin burn gun?
Its true and real and developed by scientist Jörg C. Gerlach in Berlin.
Not only can it heal burns and wounds- it works in days.
Unlike skin grafts which usually (if at all) take weeks or months.
Once on the burned area, the skin stem cells begin to divide and expand. 
In less than a week that stamp-sized donor site of
 skin can turn into a page's worth of new, healthy skin. 
Skin that matches the tone and texture of the original skin more 
closely than skin grafts usually do. WOW.  
This may or may not mean anything to you, but to me and others who are 
affected by burns, it means SO much!!
We met with a darling young burn survivor who was in an explosion last October.  
When we met her, she was spending her last few days in the burn center 
before she goes off into the real world.
She was nervous and excited. I just remember being nervous and scared.
I am proud of her.
This new technology is being used on her burns.  She looks amazing!
You can read about Tiara and the amazing Skin gun HERE
 
(*NOTE to Michelle Ye Hee Lee at the Arizona Republic, Tiera is NOT a victim.  
She is a survivor.  I wish people would get that straight.  
She is choosing to survive, not be victimized by her accident.}

Now I cant help but wish that it was available when I was in the burn center, 
but my burns were 3 degree, and as I understood, 
it only works with 1st and 2nd degree burns.
But I am so glad there are options for other burn patients to help
manage and improve their quality of life.

Then I visited with my favorite Dr. L who planned my summer for me.
And by that, I don't mean sitting poolside with popsicle's.
I mean sitting in the AZBC preforming 
surgery on my nose and lips (and finally saying audios to my pinkie).
I love that guy and will probably drive him mad the whole time.
 Here is me explaining something- 
probably me trying to get him to visit Mormon church.
Then it looks like it got a little awkward.



Bookmark and Share Add to Technorati Favorites