Thursday, November 02, 2006

I'm 5, I'm 5 I'm A Big Girl Now I'm 5...


On October 29th, my oldest child, my little Claire,
 turned FIVE!

Before the cake, Umi had all of the party guests gather around her as she
shared a really spooky story with the help of the flannel board.
This is the same scary childhood story she told all her kids.'
 school Halloween parties. It never got old, and somehow, it
was always scary, even though I knew how it ended.
At the end of the story, Umi screams like a witch, 
which is super scary and unexpected. 
As a child, I'd look at her and sometimes wondered if she was really my mom.
It was that scary.
Everyone loved the story so much that they wanted to hear it again!
It was that good!
Later in the evening, a very special visitor stopped by; Mrs. Fairy Bones
 came to wish Claire a happy birthday. 
She brought treats for all the "good children" and asked
 them what they were going to be for Halloween. 
Essentially, she was like a Halloween version of Santa Claus.
Mrs. Fairy Bones is a fictional character that I created for the bedtime stories.
 I tell Claire and Jane at night.
 For the past two years, I have been telling them wild and magical 
stories about two fairies named Ali and Leah. 
The girls love these stories, and I make them up as I go along, 
without any particular storyline or logical sequence.
But there are a few characters who are always in them, and Mrs. Fairy Bones
is one of them, so having her at the party was a huge hit!
This year, Claire asked for ghostie cupcakes.
Lucy and Courtney came to help me bake and decorate these little
guys in Umi's kitchen.
Lucy had just gotten back from her honeymoon, and while we cooked
Lucy shared with us her favorite parts of her honeymoon with Andrew.
Well, not her favorite, favorite parts, but you know.
We had a few good laughs too.

Later, as we (me, my mom, Lucy, and Courtney)were putting Claire to bed 
 decided to go around the room and share one thing we loved
about our little "Toad," which is our nickname for Claire.
Umi could barely speak; she was feeling so emotional.

My top five favorite things about Claire are:
1. Claire is so willing to help-, especially with Nicholas.
2. Claire always smiles and takes a sincere interest in others, and is very honest.
For example: "Mom, I don't much like your shirt today, but I sure love ya!"
3. Claire loves to learn and takes school seriously.
4. She looks like me!
5. Claire has always been one of my best friends; 
we always laugh at the same things together.

HAPPY 5th CLAIRE!



Bookmark and Share